Thursday, October 15, 2009

Elitism: What Were Made of...

Unfortunately one of the biggest problems that occur within the metal community is the elitism that accompanies many metalheads. Just look at how people think the typical metal elitist really is. It doesn’t help that people also have an awful perception of the entire community and think it is nothing more then old 70 year old headbangers moshing to regain their youth as stated by porkchop1234. It was brought to my attention after reading this comment on one of my own blogs:

horioppo said...
This is the first post of your's I've read. The first thing that comes to mind is how much fun is lost by knowing something so well. I really enjoy music, but I don't know that much about it. I know what I like. Anytime I learn too much about something, I don't enjoy it as much. You obviously know a whole lot about metal and music(this is a musical strategy in this post), much more than I would want to know. If I knew as much as you, I would probably lose all passion for it.

Basically what horioppo is stating is that he thinks the music is ruined from being highly knowledgeable on the topic. Which granted to some extent it is for the more basic stuff, but it allows you to find and truly appreciate many more artists who are much more worthy of your time and admiration. Many metalheads argue all over the internet this over that exact reason.

The reason for this elitism is because metalheads have a keen ability to do what many classical composers were notorious for doing as well, picking songs apart. A metalhead can differentiate what songs are the bass, drums, guitar (lead and rhythm), and the keyboards. This explains why most death metal sounds like nothing but chaotic noise to the untrained ear, because most don’t comprehend what they are listening to.

I am not saying a non-metalhead can’t do this (hell my mother raised me in a sound booth while running a soundboard at church and that is where she taught me to do it). What I am saying is that many metalheads will snarl at you mentioning Britney Spears and how awesome, unique, and different her songwriting is (especially this guy), not only because the person saying that she is a great “artist” but also the fact that they were told that this is good music and to like it, and they listened.

Think about it,

Bane

3 comments:

  1. In terms of your posts, this is the one I appreciate the most I think. It's not that I dislike any of your others but they, for the most part, are usually so out of my league. I can't fully grasp what the hell you're talking about. I really like this one because, just like the others, it's an intriguing topic and meticulous in detail. However with this one, regardless if you're a metalhead or not, the content can be appreciated by anyone. The point you make in your post is even applicable to your own blog. Like your last weeks posts for example. It was very well written, I was really impressed, but I didn't know why. It just seemed like a bunch of 'stuff' to me. I bet if one of your friends read the same posts, they'd have a full appreciation for it because they already understand the content which makes up the post so they're able to comprehend the underlying idea you're getting across in the spirit of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree there, too. I can find real talent in metal even if I don't enjoy it. Being a music kid all through school, we learned to appreciate everything that goes into composition.

    I enjoy the classical stuff, which is definitely uncommon and I get a lot of looks when I say that I listen daily to soundtracks of the films I watch. There's more content and depth to gain from listening to an artist combine several instruments at once and produce a unified piece.

    Then, at the same time, I can simply lean back and enjoy something with less musical depth such as Jimmy Eat World or Flogging Molly just because I want to! That's why music is so universal; people with little relative knowledge can enjoy it, but it can also be appreciated by those with more of a musical upbringing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like all music, metal is an art of its own. To true metal heads, it's the bomb. To others it is noise. If you turn the tables and look at what they listen to as you mention Britney Spears and you have your opinions of her. I try to appreciate all genre of music and then go from there. I have mentioned in past comments, In my day, I had listened to a great deal of metal, punk and then Rock and Roll and beyond.

    The fact that a metal head knows a great deal about the breakdown of the music shows how much they appreciate their choice of art. I can respect that. Do I listen to much now, no, but if some of the classic metal from my era comes on, I still jam on like today's metalheads do now. Music is not unbearable by knowing more about its ins and outs. It makes it sweeter to the listener. That goes for all genres. Great job with the education.

    ReplyDelete