Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Up and Comer

I recently had the pleasure of getting to interview Wes Cambron, an up and coming writer and reviewer for the Tampa Metal Music Examiner. He is only 20 and already making a name for himself among the underground metal scene all over Tampa Bay. I sat down and chit-chatted with him for a bit about what exactly his job entails.


So why don’t you tell me a little bit about yourself? How did you get into metal?


Well, I started writing short stories when I was in 4th grade, and that is what made me want to start writing articles. I did not get into metal until I was 12, specifically death metal.


Really? Death metal at that early of an age?


Yeah, weird, isn’t it? Anyways, A friend of mine wrote comic book reviews for a living, and after I read a few, I thought “hey, this is awesome, I want to do this!” but I did not want to do it with comics, I wanted to do it with metal.


What exactly do you do in your job?


Well this job entails the three main parts of the heavy metal music scene: the bands, the fans, and the business. I listen to and review local bands records’s and typically give a brief background on the history of the genre of metal they are playing. I review concerts and attempt to get more metal fans out there and at the shows telling them which bands to see. I hang with those bands before and after shows getting to know them, interviewing them, and what their long term goals are in this business. A lot of the time I actually have to resort to using AOL instant messenger (AIM) to get the interview since a lot of these guys are so busy.


That is dedication to get an interview! Who have you interviewed? Anyone I know?


Well, my most famous interview is Sally Debauchery from psykill, who just recently opened for crossbreed.